Skip to content

Nail Polish

What Should You Avoid?

There aren’t many women who don’t LOVE going to the spa and having their nails painted for them. Manicures, pedicures… It’s so much fun being pampered. While relaxing, the last thing you want to think about is the toxins in your nail polish!!

Sorry to burst your relaxation bubble, but there are some pretty nasty chemicals in most nail polish. The top three toxins are: toluene, formaldehyde and dibutyl phthalate (DBP), also known as the “toxic trio”.

Toluene can make up to 50% of a nail polish, so it is definitely one to be concerned about. Toluene is a neurotoxin and can cause birth defects. Breathing it in can cause damage to certain organs, such as the liver and kidneys.

Formaldehyde is well known as a way to preserve dead bodies… Well, that and keeping your nail polish fresh while causing cancer.

DBP mimics estrogen, causing faster sexual development in young girls and disrupts thyroid function.

What Do We Recommend?

Most salons will allow you to bring your own nail polish with you! Many companies (even the big-name companies) have already removed the “toxic trio” from their products (although that doesn’t mean there are NO chemicals).

Look for natural, water-based nail polish with no toluene, DBP or formaldehyde.

What Have We Found?

Water-based, no “toxic trio”:                                    
Pure Anada
Go Natural

No “toxic trio” (may contain other toxins):
Sally Hansen

Add Your Comment (Get a Gravatar)

Your Name


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *.